A stroll through the peaceful streets of Rome. In contrast, it felt like the end of the world is here if you read news about Italy recently.
The human brain is a remarkable pattern recognition engine. When given incomplete information it will conjure up the “missing” pieces to generate a coherent whole that could be comprehended. More often than not what gets generated is the worst case imaginable scenario. In a normal time and age this is a wonderful function to have running automatically in the background to keep this primate alive.
However, this automatic function becomes problematic as three trends converge.
Trend 1 – big tech like Google and Facebook consolidated advertising revenue putting news entity under increasingly pressure to sustain themselves as their advertising revenue dwindled
Trend 2 – the proliferation of publication medium means anyone can now claim to be a news entity.
Trend 3 – Proliferation of Growth hacking techniques perfected by tech companies like Facebook that hijacks the human brain’s automatic fight or flight to generate user action that gets converted to revenue.
News entity generate revenue with hyper inflated news that drives readership and vitality by tapping into fear and anger. This drives wide spread panic. Corona is perfect catalyst.
He gave the impression of being the most centered political representative during the elections. Also the most dynamic one that can drive change as well keep the hard core rightist in check.
Three years into office, he has impressed to be right leaning, concerned only with fame and money. In addition, he is perceived as a smooth talker that has delivered nothing to satisfy the left nor the right. His policies are constantly self contradictory designed only to appease to both sides while achieving nothing. He has been considered by the youth, his primary support base, to have deserted them.
The youth of France feels funding for public services are inadequate and getting more so by the day. Is fearful the hardcore rightist are getting stronger by the day. Social mobility concerns loom at the top of their mind.
There is a hard core leftist faction that is small but mainly considered communist and negligible.
The ability to implement compounding models with competitive moats and a winner takes all dynamics in our markets inevitably leads to wealth inequality.
Last century, we experimented with Liberalism (US), Communism (USSR), Facism (Germany) and Militarism (Japan) as solutions to tackle the problem. Liberalism was the model that won.
Right now, in addition to continued work on Liberalism, we explore technologism, populism, socialism and terrorism.
In worst case scenario, we should expect a system reset that is not backed by any framework when the percentage of disenfranchised crosses the critical threshold. It will be very messy when that happens.
- The polarization between democratic systems and authoritarian systems is becoming more apparent as China leverages its growing middle class to project it’s influence on the world stage a strategy that US has been utilizing for the past decades.
- Facebook is a vehicle for projecting American values overseas.
- The African continent remains a land grab for the two different regime types. Thus far, China has won out on the physical infrastructure and government level while FaceBook has won out on the community grassroots levels.
- For the C Suite especially CMOs to execute their jobs well they need to be focused on what’s happening out there in the world as opposed to what’s happening within their own functional organization. It’s the VP of marketing’s job to handle what is within their own marketing organization.
- Its a time when US companies will need to navigate the international markets while managing the challenges to their American values.
- The Chinese government has done a better execution on that front with their One Belt Road initiative by clearing the path at the government level to facilitate the unhindered expansion at the commercial level by its enterprises.
- Western media is working at full Rev to control the narrative frames that drives public opinions.
- Mark Zuckerberg has masterfully leverage recent trends to reframe Libra as a champion of democratic ideals as opposed to a disintermediation force on central banks around the world.
Zuckerberg Warns China’s Censored Internet Could Still Win Out
Apple bows to China by removing Taiwanese emoji
Christian Dior apologizes for omitting Taiwan from Chinese map
China exerts pressure on NBA to fire key executive for tweet on Hong Kong unrest
Solomon island switches relationship to China from Taiwan
Kiribati switches relationship to China from Taiwan
Southeast Asia balances between Chinese Markets and US defense
Facebook Warns Washington That Beijing Wins If Libra Plan Fails